Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)


Q1: How to apply for Tourism Infrastructure Fund?

A1: Please submit your proposal to Ministry of Tourism Sarawak, Level 2, Baitulmakmur (MASJA) Building, Medan Raya, Petra Jaya, 93050 Kuching according to the format Project Brief. (click here for Project Brief Format)



Q1: How to apply sponsorship for tourism event and festival?

A1: Application for sponsorship can be done via on-line by using the Tourism Event Grant Application Form available at Ministry of Tourism Sarawak official website.


(A) General Questions:

Q1: Who grant the approval of MM2H application?

A1: The Immigration Department of Sarawak.

Q2: What do you recommend to improve my chances of approval?

A2: While you are required to place a fixed deposit and/or show proof of income, these are only the minimum requirements. In order to receive approval, you must show that you have a strong financial background by providing asset statements, bank deposit statements and proof of any additional income that you derive beyond the minimum required amounts. In other words, simply having RM150,000 in the bank and RM10,000 per month in income will not get approval. Furthermore, we recommend you apply with family members when possible.

Q3: Do I need to be in Malaysia when applying for a renewal?

A3: Yes, all participants MUST be present in person with their passport in Malaysia to receive the MM2H visa endorsements from the Immigration of Malaysia. All renewals must be done three (3) months prior to the expiry date. You may do the renewal yourself or you may engage us to assist you.

Q4: Do I have to stay in Malaysia after joining this program?

A4: After completing your landing visit to Malaysia, you are free to enter and leave the country without any restrictions.

Q5: Can the Social Visit Pass be extended after 10 years?

A5: Yes. If you fulfill the criteria of the Social Visit Pass at the time of renewal, the Malaysian government ensures that the Social Visa Pass will be renewed.

Q6: After joining this program, can I apply for Permanent Residency?

A6: No. Under this programme participant is not allow to apply for Permanent Residency.

Q7: Can I use my existing non-cash assets in Malaysia to fulfill the MM2H condition?

A7: No, they cannot be considered equivalent to the fix deposit requirement stated in the Conditional Approval Letter by the Immigration of Malaysia. However, we strongly advise you to include whatever assets you have in Malaysia or elsewhere as your supporting financial documents when you make your MM2H application.

Q8: Who qualifies as dependents?

A8: Applicants may apply their spouse, unmarried children below the age of 18 and parents above the age of 60 as dependents. All other persons must be shown to be financially dependent on the applicant to qualify as a dependent.

Q9: How long does the approval process take for my application?

A9: The applications will either be approved or rejected within 2 months.

Q10: What were the main reasons applications were being rejected?

A10: Most rejected cases were due to the failure in showing proof of strong financial status. As mentioned above, applicants with just enough cash available for the required fix deposit and meeting the minimum requirement for monthly income will not be approved.

Q11: If I have been staying in Malaysia for years, can I apply for MM2H?

A11: Yes, provided you have a valid Social Visa at the point of application and are able to fulfill all the requirements. The application can be done while you are in Malaysia.

(B) MM2H Visa:

Q1: What is MM2H Visa?

A1: MM2H Visa is a ten (10) years Social Visit Pass with Multiple Entry Visa. Successful applicants will be issued MM2H visa as long as the holders do not violate the rules and regulations of the Sarawak Immigration Department. The MM2H visa is renewable / extendable at the end of the 10 years period provided if you fulfill all criteria set by the Sarawak Immigration Department.


Q2: If my passport is valid for the next three (3) years, will I receive the full ten (10) years visa endorsement? 

A2: The MM2H visa endorsement will be given based on the validity of your passport. You will entitle to receive up to ten (10) years visa if your passport is valid for the next ten years. If your passport is only valid for 3 years, you will only be given a 3-year visa. You may receive the balance of the ten-year visa upon renewal of your passport.


Q3: What is the minimum day to stay in Malaysia per year after obtaining the MM2H visa endorsement? 

A3: There is no minimum day you require to stay in Malaysia per year. You may visit and leave as you wish with no restrictions after you obtained the MM2H visa endorsement.

(C) Fixed Deposits: 

Q1: Which banks am I required to place my fixed deposit?

A1: You may place your fixed deposit at any financial institution, including foreign banks with local branches in Malaysia.


Q2: Can my fixed deposit at the Malaysia bank be made in foreign currency?

A2: The fixed deposit for this programme MUST be made in Malaysian Ringgits; any amount beyond the stated requirement can be made in most foreign currency.


Q3: Can I open a current account with the banks in Malaysia?

A3: By presenting the original MM2H Conditional Approval Letter and your passport, you may open a personal saving and current accounts in Malaysia.


Q4: Can I withdraw my fixed deposit any time during my stay in Malaysia?

A4: Participant under Sarawak/MM2H Programme can withdraw after one (1)

year for purchase of house, car, children education or medical purpose. If the participant wishes to withdraw the interest accrued on savings, they must indicate in the intention letter to Ministry of Tourism Sarawak. Must maintain a minimum balance of Fixed Deposit RM60,000.00 from second year onward for the whole duration of stay under Sarawak/MM2H.


Q5: Can I place the fixed deposit in a Malaysia bank located in my country?

A5: No. Participants have to open a fixed deposit account in any Malaysian local bank or financial institution in Malaysia.


Q6: Am I allowed to withdraw my fixed deposit for a few months and then top it back later?

A6: No. Participants are not allowed to do this, unless for an emergency purpose but with prior approval from the Ministry of Tourism.


Q7: When can I withdraw my fixed deposit?

A7: After a period of one year, the participant may withdraw his/her fixed deposit for approved expenses relating to house purchase, education for children in Malaysia and medical purposes OR when he/she decides to terminate his/her stay in Malaysia by first informing the Ministry of Tourism of his/her intention at Malaysia My Second Home Centre. Participants can apply to withdraw part of their fixed deposit for emergency cases such as medical purposes, etc. with prior approval of the Ministry of Tourism.

(D) Medical Treatment: 

Q1: Can I receive medical treatment in Malaysia?

A1: Yes you can receive medical treatment from any clinics, medical centres, hospitals throughout Malaysia.


 (E) Education: 

Q1: Should I apply MM2H for my children who are / will be attending school in Malaysia?

A1: Not necessary, children only need to have the Student Pass to attend schools here and to live with their parents in Malaysia.


Q2: Do kindergarten level children need Student Visas to attend kindergarden here?

A2: Children below the school going age (of is 7 years) are not required to apply for Student Visas. They need only apply for a Social Visit Visa.


Q3: If my children are already married and want to study in Malaysia with their husbands, do they need to pay the fixed deposit? 

A3: Not necessary. They can apply for a Student Visa once they have obtained places of study in Malaysia.


Q4: Can the children of successful applicants attend school in Malaysia?

A4: Yes, they may do so by having Student Pass and they should be insured throughout their stay in Malaysia.

(F) House Purchase: 

Q1: Are the participants entitled to any special entitlements?

A1: All participants are allowed to purchase residential properties at the minimum purchase price for foreigners established by the respective state governments. The current minimum price is RM300,000.00 per unit for Sarawak State.


Q2: Can I purchase a house for residential purpose and a shop lot to be rented out?

A2: No, you are only allowed to purchase residential properties.


Q3: Do I have to pay the yearly assessment and quit rent for my houses like the locals?

A3: Yes.


Q4: In the event of unforeseen death can the participants Malaysian assets be handed over smoothly to any of his beneficiaries. Does the Government have any restriction on this matter? 

A4: No. Participants may transfer their property to their next-of-kin provided they have made a will to this effect. In the event of lack of documentation, the next-of-kin may claim the inheritance upon proof of identity and kinship.


Q5: Must foreigners buy new Malaysia property only, such as from developers, or can they purchase any property, such as from individual owners (second hand or third hand property)? 

A5: Participants can purchase any type of housing properties provided that it has been issued with CF (Certificate of Fitness).


Q6: Am I subject to the property gains tax if I make a profit from selling my house?

A6: No.


Q7: Can I apply for local financing from a local bank to purchase a house in Malaysia?

A7: Yes, you may apply for the loan in Malaysia subject to the terms and conditions of respective banks or financial institutions


If there is any enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us at 082-319313 (General Line Ministry of Tourism Sarawak) or through email address